Facebook Badge

2.13.2012

Testing Makes Us Stronger: the problem with advertising

So I was headed to the doctors earlier today and as I got off the N train on Atlantic-Pacific Avenue, I noticed all these Testing Makes Us Stronger ads. At first I figured, "okay, they're pushing people to get tested and being safe or what have you". Then I noticed something very peculiar -- all of these Testing ads were with homosexuals (or portrayals of them).

I am, in no way or manner, attempting to bash anyone. I happen to have an uncle who is homosexual and has a partner. MY problem here is this -- we live in a society where the LGBT community are striving for a genuine sense of equality and tolerance in American society yet when it comes to HIV/AIDS, they continue to let themselves be the poster children of this disease. I haven't personally seen anyone make an uproar about it, let alone even point out that not a single heterosexual portrayal or figure is shown in these ads. All of them seem geared towards the association of homosexuality and HIV/AIDS. By the way, it gets better. In all these ads, the ethnicity is (you guessed it) African-American. No Latinos, Caucasians, Asians -- all black. Mind you, all male.

Is there something wrong with this picture or am I the only one noticing this specific singling out of sexual orientation, gender and/or race within advertisement? I think it's only fair that should an advertisement promoting the testing for HIV/AIDS be put out in public that they all present something different, not just gay black men. I find it very strange that it is 2012 and you have caricatures of this sort in a post-modern society still existing.

No comments: