Facebook Badge

4.06.2013

Sound in guitars! The factors touching your tone! Pt. 1

Last week, as I was recording some guitar tracks, while doing the EQs on my guitar, something caught my attention. When I turned on the Analysis part of the EQ setting, I studied my guitar's sound waves. Then it hit me -- like, it really hit me -- every guitar really is different.

As for EQs, there would be 4 sections: Low, Low Mid, Hi Mid and Hi. Naturally, the spectrum on keyboards are very much across the board, basses lean dominantly towards Low and Low Mid and vocals usually vary on the person. The variety on a guitar? Well, I am now convinced that truly, each guitar has a soul of its own. In this first part of this multi-part blog, I'll be breaking down the sonic characteristics of my guitars.

Ibanez 1985 Axstar - With the Basswood body and the Mahogany neck, this baby was built for blues, jazz, even some good old hard rock. It has a good Bass punch and the Mids are balanced. If you want some extra bite, you better crank up the Treble, especially if you want that primitive old Floyd Rose it has to use.

PRS Tremonti SE - The Mahogany body and neck gives you good balance across the board and the Rosewood fretboard gives your Bass and Treble an extra bite. You may want to crank up Treble and Bass a tiny bit more because the Mids on this guitar are fierce. Does me well for rock, blues, hard rock, metal and just about anything.

Squier '00 Affinity Strat - My first guitar. Alder body, Maple neck and Rosewood fretboard. You definitely have a lot of Treble going around and even a decent punch on Bass, although the Mids could use a kick up. Always did me well with blues, rock, reggae, latin.

Washburn Sinbiote - Technically a King of the Blues singlecut w/24 frets, this model doesn't exist anymore. Matter of fact, so much so, my best friend and I sanded the original finish off and did our own custom hand-painted job. Maple neck, Mahogany fretboard and an Alder body, this baby happens to bite well in the Mid and Treble department. Crank the Bass up good and bring the Treble up a tad and you'll be sailing. I like bringing this one out for rock and metal.

Part II coming soon!