Facebook Badge

6.28.2013

History of my rig

       I figured it would be fun to write about my history when it comes to my performing rigs -- whether it be for effects or even amplifiers or the combo of both and let me tell you, there's been a run of changes.

       In 2002-2004, I had a Boss DS-1, a Crybaby and a Danelectro French Toast Octave Fuzz. It actually wasn't my favorite rig but it did the job I needed it to. I was just on a Squier Strat, mostly playing on 90's Peavey keyboard amps wherever I went unless a Roland Jazz Chorus was around. I always had the distortion effect on the French Toast rolled back because of the excessive distortion for what I was doing back then. My DS-1 was often with the Distortion rolled to about 45% and my Tone setting to the same. I always used the Crybaby strictly for some funky rhythms.

       In 2006, my rig went through a big change. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Special II at the time and my Sinbiote. I switched the old Crybaby for the Dimebag Crybaby From Hell and the Morley Bad Horsie 2. The DS-1 left and I replaced it with the Digitech Bad Monkey and the Grunge pedal. I also included the BOSS CE-5 and the KORG AX3G. I would use these as a means to experiment and try different tones for punk, pop/rock, alternative, metal and prog stuff too. I was also using all this through an old Guitar Research acoustic amp that had built in phase and chorus (both on) while hooked to a Peavey 5150 4x12 cabinet. I eventually replaced that amp with the Crate Power Block in conjunction to the 5150 and that definitely opened more clarity and more messing around.

       In 2008, my rig got through another big change -- no more half stack, hello to the Raven RG100 and my Audio Technica guitar wireless unit. I also eliminated all the pedal mess, replacing them with the Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah and the Line 6 Floor POD Plus. By then, I also had my PRS SE Custom 22 and eventually the '85 Ibanez Axstar. It was only yet another big change.

       Now we're at 2013, ended up losing the Tremonti Power Wah somewhere. I ended up getting the Crybaby 95Q which does the same I used to get out of the Bad Horsie 2 except being significantly slimmer in size. The Floor POD Plus is still in place and will always stick with it but now I may be adding the MXR Prime Distortion as a kicking boost for solos. The RG100 is gone, as is the Sinbiote and the SE Custom 22 but in addition, I have the Crunch Lab and Liquifire humbuckers on my Axstar and now I possess the PRS Mark Tremonti SE. I can honestly say that I enjoy the combinations I have now.