Facebook Badge

6.05.2011

Gonzalez-Rosado pride

So yesterday I was doing a lot of thinking in regards to my family, my heritage and how, in a lot of ways, they make up parts of who and how I am. I gotta say, there is, indeed, quite a lot!

I remember having a talk with my dad about the Gonzalez family and how they are of Spaniard and European descent. It makes a lot of sense too since my grandpa Paco, his brothers and their ancestors all are light skinned (although a little red) with hazel eyes. Damn it do I wish I had inherited those eyes! Anyone who knows one of my family members, while we do give each other space, holy $#!t you better run for the hills if you mess with a Gonzalez! They get very verbal, protective and downright angry! When it comes to women, the Gonzalez clan are all about fidelity, protection, love, affection and having a certain level of solidarity, even if we can be quite the cavemen. Probably the only weird thing is how more socially reserved we can be. They just put you slightly at arm's length once married. Why? Whatever goes on, it's a team effort and despise outside interference, regardless if it's good interference or otherwise.

Then, from what I've learned, the Rosados are a bit different. My mom's side just so happens to have a bit of Italian blood in them thanks to my great grandpa, who was a Filpi. While that may be just a minor piece in the makeup, it seems to explain why us Rosados are so damn close as family! Anyone who knows an Italian family knows for sure they when it comes to family, they are tight and that part of the Rosado blood seems to very much be prevalent. My mom's side also happen to have a touch of redhead in their ancestry somewhere -- that's probably why I've always had a thing for red hair (laughs)! I digress from the humor.

One thing I managed to get from both ends is quite a bit of lightning. I get a little protective over my babygirl just like my dad, a sweetheart and hopeless romantic like both and have the poetic and music madness from both sides. I found out that my uncle Fen had a hidden book of poems, mom had a whole book of poems and anecdotes and my uncle Edwin from my dad's side was quite the poet. In addition, my uncle Rex from the Rosados was my first guitar teacher (and broke me in to Creed, Bush, Santana amongst others) and my grandpa Paco from the Gonzalezs has been playing guitar for years on end. I'd liken him a bit to Johnny Cash, Jose Feliciano and Bob Dylan though. The musical aspect seemed to have always caught on with my siblings too. My brother, at one point, was playing drums, Bernice almost ended up in a music school before she passed on and Tiff once had fronted a band known as Broken Strings. I happen to always end up, in one way or another, being a front man in a band, whether I want to or not but it's always a joy.

With all that said, I got a lot to be proud of when it comes to my heritage as a Hispanic of European descent that happened to, by grace, be blessed with a lot in my hands. Like they say, "to much is given, much is required".

No comments: