Facebook Badge

7.19.2011

Just Elevating and Re-mounted Wings

Of all songs, I'm here listening to So High by John Legend off his Get Lifted album. Why? The ol' romantic side of me as a man just rolled in. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if I found myself reading Songs of Solomon within the next few days. The feeling that love tends to bring about is both maddening as well as blissful. It makes your heart skip a beat every now and then, leaves you with more stutters than George W. Bush and it'll make you do things you would never do in a million years.

It's amazing what happens on one sick day with me -- I find myself inspired to write. For once, it's a great vibe that is inspiring me to write a little. Those who follow me on FB may have noticed on one status how I started to point out my strengths. Some would exploit that or point it out as supposedly feminine. Last I checked, it is definitely healthy for people to remember and declare your strengths instead of wallowing in your weaknesses. Why? If you focus on your negatives all the time, you'll find yourself just feeling blue or just frustrated all the time. I'm not saying we should be foolishly optimistic, as I am at times. I just believe that when you focus more on your strengths, the weaknesses and imperfections about you won't beat you up nowhere near as bad.

In the process, I'm remembering more of what makes Ron Gunz the man he is, was and will always be. It isn't the brokenness, the blues, the dramatics, the moping and the sorrow. Yes, these are things that we deal with on a daily basis and things that put our character to the test -- but they don't define me in their essence. I began to remember today everything I know to be awesome about me -- whether it be being the musician I am -- no reading of music, just all ear, heart and soul, being a strong writer who's loaded with raw honesty and grit, a motivator that helps bring some sunshine to people when the funk and junk of life hit 'em or simply being a man of passion who enjoys what he enjoys very well and keeps pushing even when on my threshold.

Yup, no more pity parties for me! You mope, whine, pee, moan and groan all your life and you'll be well-headed to a road to nowhere. Sure enough, being laid the smackdown is all you'll be known for unless you jump back up and open a can of worms and stomp a mudhole in life's derriere. Last I checked, the weak must say I am strong.

Ron Gunz

No comments: