Facebook Badge

9.11.2011

10 years later

Yes I know, I succumbed to the 9/11 trend in blogging, mainly due to it being 10 years later. I figured a facebook status would be far too short to unleash my sentiments towards this. My sentiments, as cold as they might sound, aren't as somber and terrible as the rest of my fellow NYers. I'll start, however, with where I was.

I was at health class at Franklin D Roosevelt High School that morning when suddenly, one of the school staff members walk in and tell my teacher that the Twin Towers got hit. I was like, "what the heck?!" Sure enough, my aunt picked me up and we drove all the way to Cobble Hill, where my uncle was living at the time. I remember looking at the sky and seeing that trail of grey and black hovering over the jewish cemetery next to my school. It was a pretty grim look yet eerily cool all at once. I remember calling my friend Jenn later in the evening just to see how she was holding up. Thank God she was fine, as was her folks.

How do I feel about 9/11 ten years later? Pretty numb to say the least. Don't get it twisted -- it was a terrible day. Brave men and women helped some people survive but my goodness, people had plenty of time to run the heck out of that building without hesitation! If I hear a strong boom in my building, I will run the heck out of my house! Those people that weren't security, firemen, EMT's, policemen and military personnel that just stood around and watched, you should've run for it. Don't bother trying to get benefits from our country because you got sick. You should've run like Roadrunner, not stood around going, "oh, look at the building fall, oh my God". You're just as sick-minded as all the individuals that year in and year out cash in on this tragedy. It makes me sick to my stomach that this one moment is being used as a means to cash in and make money.

So how do I feel about 9/11? I feel it is time to move forward and stop being stuck living in the past, worrying about what should've, would've, could've been. Thousands are dead and never coming back. I know what it's like to lose someone very dear to me and quite honestly, my heart goes out to the people that are forced to be reminded of their losses over and over again. It's time to permanently kiss the dead goodbye. Instead of "Never Forget", we should be asking, "What have we learned?" To be sincere, in the words of Jigsaw from the Saw series, "Cherish your life. Live or die, it's your choice".

By no means am I being cold-hearted about it, I just believe that so long as we treat that day the way we do, people will continue to have their scars busted wide open, minds will continue to live in triggered turmoil and the elitist bastards we ever so despise will continue to smile as they cash in on this. Every time you buy a 9/11 or a Never Forget shirt, you're approving the fact that this event is worth milking over and over. I think it is an insult to us as a nation and a disgusting move in absolute inconsideration and disrespect to the families that cry over their loved ones. If you think this isn't disrespectful, how about this? Let's make a day to remember Pearl Harbor or The Holocaust. Yes the Holocaust. I dare this country to pull that off -- I guarantee you that every Jew will come out of the woodworks and protest about how disrespectful it is to their parents or grandparents that either have died during that period in WWII or survived and still living with the trauma from those days.

And that is the entire iceberg!

No comments: