Facebook Badge

9.01.2011

4, Bad Teacher review and other things

Boy does it feel good to be back in school. I finally got some time to kill and something better to do. It's gonna be interesting to learn the history behind the English language. As far as thinking mathematically, let's see if I can (laughs pretty hard).

I recently sat down and watched Bad Teacher, starring Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake and Jason Siegel. To be quite frank, the movie felt B-movie-ish. Cameron Diaz did a good job playing a teacher who uses the means of cheating to get high scores for her class to get money for implants, only to not get them anyway. Justin Timberlake was your very generic dork and lacked any real charisma. His best scene was dry humping Diaz. Really? That's your best scene? I shake my head at such a thing. Jason Siegel, while a good actor and has some funny moments himself, seemed a bit tame and seemed more like a PG version of Jonah Hill (Superbad). If you paid 12.25 to see this movie, what an utter waste. A few chuckles here and there but in the end, just another generic, "I'm going to pretend to be a teacher to win money" movie -- all of which has been done far better in the form of School of Rock. Should you watch this, just Netflix it or something.

For those not in the know, I've begun to write a comic book story simply known as 4. It consists of four people from four distinct areas in their time and lives that reflect the four horses of the apocalypse -- War, Famine, Pestilence and Death. They all somehow escape these backgrounds together to travel elsewhere and meet a guy named Haissem, whom know their purpose. Granted, I'm simplifying the synopsis here because 1. the story is only beginning and 2. the interactions between these characters are for you to find out (once this thing is released). As far as who is doing the artwork? My best friend and fellow bandmate, the Sid! Sure, I'll put in my graphical touches but this will be his avenue. As far as how I'm writing it, it's all off the cuff. I don't have a preset idea or an assumption as to how it will go. I'm allowing my improvisation do the work and, in turn, create a story that can be unpredictable. Crazily enough, it's that same improv style that triggered me into creating particular interactions, consciously or subconsciously.

I've decided to take a time out on Walk This Realm. Why? I'm really sucked in by 4, as well as everything else going on. Also include the fact that, due to the much darker nature of the book's theme, I need to step away for a bit before my creative juices get drained. While it is good to recognize and dig deep into the darkest place of your heart as a means of understanding what changes you need in your life, there comes a time when you just have to detach yourself for just a bit because too much negativity can be a sheer poison to your soul and everyone else around you.