Facebook Badge

5.10.2013

Some things never change pt. 1

       For some crazy reason, the message of forgiveness is constantly being reflected to me every day this week. Even while at work, it traveled deep in my mind. Perhaps it's because the resurfacing of my anger towards those who feed on the falling down of others.

       Yesterday I was talking to a few customers and one of them was asking for a good distortion or overdrive pedal for a warm and rocky sound in church. Granted, I gave, as always, the best recommendations that came to mind. Behind him were two young teens with the most, "what the heck" faces I've seen in a while. The older man left happily with the Fulltone OCD Overdrive and the young guys came forward. They asked, "rock in church"? I felt the flashbacks as I felt just as they did. These were kids that, at the same age I was once, were feeling outcast because of their musical preferences. Ironically, they too were ex-Pentecostals, who left the church her mother went to because they were judged over their music genre preferences. These kids weren't looking for trouble, scoring with women or doping it up. Just two kids that love guitar, love rock like I do.

       Apparently, they didn't get to see how the perception of rock changed in church as years went on. Perhaps because more church people realized that a sound modification didn't really make your music playing any holier or corrupt. I remember how taboo a touch of a Boss DS-1 was in churches. They looked at you like I summoned Satan, which I would've understood if they preferred a Fulltone OCD, a Boss OS-2 or a Hardwire Valve Distortion. All I was really doing was adding a layer of distortion while playing funky latin, reggae or calypso type of rhythms circa 2001. I never saw rock become less taboo until around 2006-2007. By then, hearing a Salsa/Merengue style of music in church was nothing new and actually was normal but a rock sound was just beginning to be welcomed.

       Unfortunately, a lot of youth, like these kids, were alienated because of their sound preference. It was okay to hear Fred Hammond, Salvador, Third Day, Hillsong, Jeremy Camp, Todd Agnew and Steven Curtis Chapman but God forbid you gave ear to Demon Hunter, ReD, Oh Sleeper, The Showdown, Skillet, Narnia, Disciple or Switchfoot.

       I couldn't help but while talking with these customers about how despite that, they can't just not like Jesus anymore. For crying out loud, if these old folk Christians met Christ today, they'd be in trouble. Jesus was always around anyone but religiously acceptable people. I also understand why these two kids felt the way they did -- because I was outcast the same way. I was that guy that pushed against the grain because I believe that if you are a man or woman that loves to worship God, worship Him or point to Him with anything you can. Whether it's rock, salsa, jazz, metal, reggae, tagging, henna or even with sock puppets, if the intent is to reflect God and his goodness, just do it.

       Why am I bringing this up? This is due to this forever being something that will never be let go. Even if one day a music genre is no longer taboo, the damage that was done remains. The fact that many souls were alienated and enstranged by church people hangs there.