Facebook Badge

4.23.2011

Hit and Run

Hey guys,

For those that don't know the story and continue to ask, this is what happened and I will not repeat this ever again.

Thursday night I was headed to Chambers St. to hang out with my buddy Rob Cruz. I got there and unfortunately he was called last minute for overtime. So I jumped on the J to head home.

Being I was a bit down and a bit tired, I missed my stop on Lorimer St. so I got off on Flushing Ave. I get down on the elevator by Woodhull Medical Center. I'm about to cross when out of nowhere, I got hit on my right side. It was a hit and run as, whoever was driving, hit me and kept going.

I was out cold for about 10 minutes. When I awoke, I texted Michelle to let her know what was goin' on while I was coughing up some blood and had some nosebleed. I was hysterical as nothing of this nature's ever happened to me. She's urging to drive over and I'm like, "don't, I'll be fine", like the knucklehead I am.

I walked back to Woodhull and asked where was the emergency room. They pointed it to me, so I did as indicated. I checked in and sat as I waited. Not too long after, Michelle arrives with her friend Peige to check how I was doing. It was hard to look at her as she was crying and was a complete mess at the sight of me.

My blood pressure was at 168/80 and I had some pain on my right side. They asked me to give them a urine sample. Funny part was, I almost walked in on a female police officer. In shock, I apologized and laughed it off. They put me on the stretcher in the trauma room to relax. They also briefly did bloodwork on me. Mom saw me first, thanks to Michelle picking my sister and her up. Lord knows she was worried. Then my sis came in to know what went down. Then Michelle took some time to talk to me, as I wanted to speak to her too. Then, I finally saw her friend and thanked her for coming with my girlfriend and asked her to look out for her for me.

Finally, I was taken for some CAT scans. Then I was left in the trauma room on the side, alongside the rest of the miserable crowd there. The good news was that I had a very minor bruise between my right pectoral and my ribs and that everything, from my internals and my skeleton, was in tact. The bad news was some talk they did about a brain convulsion. I was nervous as hell. I didn't sleep until 8:30am more or less.

When I woke up around 10am, mom paid me a visit, followed by sitting there waiting for my bedroom, all of which I never saw until 8pm last night. Aside from the fries and Ginger Ale mom got me, I could not and did not eat anything, nor provided much of anything by the personnel there. Have to say, the staff that were in that room weren't very professional and were very much a bunch of sitting ducks instead of doing everything possible to move things along. Bad enough that some things were questionable, like telling a woman with cast-bound fractured foot to take the train or get car service when she also has a sprained ankle and a damaged wrist! A guy who was struggling with some testicles that kept squeezing themselves got barely any attention and a woman who had a hernia in you know where was being privately ridiculed behind her curtain because it wasn't shaved and smelled a little.

I finally got my room at 8pm -- when visiting hours were over! I didn't so much as even get a sandwich until 10:30pm. The nurse was a complete, sorry to say, bitchcunt! There, I said it! The next morning, though, I got a more decent nurse that hooked me up with breakfast and lunch and was a lot kinder and more respectful. Before they released me this afternoon, I asked the nurse why was there talk about me with a possible brain convulsion and that's when I was told that it was likely due to a mild concussion that I endured -- given that I was out cold for ten minutes. I think that alone crapped on my mood since. Good thing mom was with me to pick me up and take the train home with me.

I have to say, thank God it was just that and that I didn't suffer anything worse. My blood pressure, by the time I was released, was back to 117/60, so I knew I was okay. Looks I have to take things a little slow now...even mentally. Besides, while en route to my room, they almost took me into the psych ward. God forbid I end up there! I gotta admit, I did feel depressed for a few hours due to the news about the convulsion and concussion.

No comments: