Facebook Badge

4.17.2011

the Underdog

     I thought best to write it while the spark was still in tact. Lately I've been thinking a lot about the whole David vs. Goliath story. I simply don't get wowed at how Goliath was a big log that got stoned in the head and beheaded by a lowly kid. I don't look so much at how he got all, "eh, I'ma knock ya down in the power of God" in attitude either. I saw something else.
    
     I'm gonna roll with this -- God seems to side with whom the majority at times consider the underdog. David was the little baby brother in the family. His own brothers and dad didn't seem to think much of him. I can image all the "WTF" faces they had when seeing he got picked to be future Israeli King. When facing Goliath, everyone was like, "eh David's gonna be lunch -- I don't see him winning this one at all". Sure enough, he knocked that punk down like a sack o' potatoes!
    
     Elijah, another underdog. Sure, he had the rep of coming and going like the wind but no one seemed to even think much good could happen with him. They laughed at the thought of him being able to make the call for it to finally rain, let alone command fire from Heaven on his drowning altar. Ha, the second he said, "I make it rain" and it finally rained. He hollered at God for some flame on and sure enough, it popped up.

     Yeah, God seems to love underdogs, or at least underdogs as a result of perception. This one might be alarming but I'll get real on it -- Jesus. Yes I said it, I went there. He, to the eyes of some, was an underdog. Pharisees saw him as nothing beyond the son of a carpenter. People that heard he was from Nazareth were like, "w-w-w-wait, something GOOD can come from THAT place?!". He didn't exactly had things in his favor in the eyes of some but oh boy were they in for it.

     To go less christianese with this, I think this is why I like Bret Hart the best throughout my life when it came to wrestlers. In most matches, he wasn't super muscular, he wasn't super fast or anything super flashy. So from the start, he wasn't the guy expected to be at the top or let alone be awesome. But in the end of most of those matches, he'd surprise everyone and in the process told a good wrestling story.

     I could never identify entirely with tragic heroes nor with "from the door" supermen. That's right -- Superman will NEVER be a top hero for me. Achilles sure as hell will never be there -- nothing too tragic about him -- he was just a whiny little b**** who needed to get thrown into a fight in order to get him to fight. He whined to much on his short lifetime instead of focusing on, "hey, short or long, I'll make my life at its best as can be". Now 300's Leonidas, THAT'S a hero. Win or lose, he was gonna prove, despite absence of favor from even his leaders, that he can make a supposed "God-King" bleed. Boy, did he get a good draw on first blood, too! Batman may not be super, nor as technologically advanced like Iron Man but he somehow, in the end, is the top dog. In Tower of Babel, people saw what he was capable of -- had a means, in the event of madness, of putting out of commission EVERY Justice League member INCLUDING the high and mighty Superman!

That, my friends, is the tip of the iceberg!

No comments: